Friday, March 12, 2010

All This, Every Day

In her book Hard Laugher, Anne Lamott writes that a friend of hers wrote a poem called All This, Every Day, and that she thinks that is the finest mantra. This morning I woke up filled with grattitude and thought just that--I have all this, every day! I have warm sun on my skin, a bustling city, poetic music, mountains out the bus window, health, friends, an insane but endearing family, and plums. Fresh, sweet, dripping down your chin plums.

Of course, I also have other things every day, like earthquake aftershocks, an hour and 15 minute long commute, pimples, language barriers, and loneliness. But when I am 80 and my eyes don't work quite right and my butt is saggy and I look back on my life, I know I won't remember sometimes being lonely in Santiago or frustrated by a long commute to school. I will remember that when I was twenty, I did the scary but hard thing and moved to a different country for 5 months. And I don't think I will have regrets, because I am truly thankful for my life as it is happening, and I realize what a gift I've been given.

Now, I'm not going to start singing Raindrops on Roses or anything, but if you haven't felt deep, true thankfulness recently (or ever), I invite you to make that a prayer request. I believe God enjoys blessing us with the realization of his blessing and grace in our lives, and when you ask him for a spirit of thankfulness he delights in giving it to you.

After a terrible, horrible, frustrating week trying to register for my classes and find my way around a foreign university of 40,000 students, God blessed me with a day full of grace. On Thursday I was finally able to register for the classes I needed, find the photocopy place for my textbooks (long story), and find space for a little bit of free time. Earlier in the week I had broken down into tears several times, both times in public with very underprepared male friends. Poor guys. I was frustrated and overwhlemed by trying to get things done in a culture where offices close whenever they please and the natives are unwilling to help a foreigner stumbing her way through the first week of classes. Gracias a Dios, I was blessed with a day of breath, rest, and grace when I needed it most.

Tomorrow I am getting up early to go to Cajon de Maipo, about an hour and a half from Santiago. Some friends and I are going to get out of the city and spend the day ziplining and trekking the foothills of the Andes.

All this, every day!!

1 comment:

  1. This post was such a joy to read!! I'm so happy to hear that you're enjoying yourself. Way to be so positive.
    p.s. i'm sitting in lj's now...missing you, dear!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete