Monday, December 27, 2010

My Very First Blogging Book Review: I Remember Nothing

Possibly the best thing about break is getting to read things you want to read. What has made this break even better is that I am not going back to school in January, and I find myself sitting here delightedly considering that I may just get to spend the rest of my life reading whatever I want. I imagine myself becoming the most informed and interesting person on the planet, simply by getting to read two books a week for the next sixty years.

Those of you who see me on a day to day basis may remember my brief but passionate affair with Nora Ephron's "I Feel Bad About My Neck" a few years ago. For a week I read excerpts to my friends and ran all over town begging people to read it. Thus you can imagine my delight when the wonderful Ruth Ross (who hears about nearly all of my literary encounters) informed me that there was a second book of humorous essays to be published by Miss Ephron. Merry Christmas to me.

Unfortunately, "I Remember Nothing" was a complete disappointment. I'm not kidding you, I started this book at 11:00 last night and finished it this morning at 11:30. Also, about nine and a half of those hours were spent sleeping. Of course this book was never meant to be deeply substantive. It is, after all, a collection of humorous essays. However, the Nora I met in "I Feel Bad About My Neck" was funny, snappy, and relatable. Her latest work seems to be, above else, a list of all of the fabulous people she knows and has known, and of her numerous career conquests. I did not laugh or even smile to myself. I also did not highlight a single thing, which to me is a harbinger of the work's general worthlessness.

What a mean first book review I am writing. I'm sorry. All I'm saying is, don't read "I Remember Nothing." Most of all, don't pay $22.95 for it.

You should, however, read Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers." If you (like me) aspire to become the most interesting and informed person on the planet by simply reading books, this is a good place to start.

Next on my list? Sloane Crosley's "How Did You Get This Number"
Fingers crossed it turns out better than "I Remember Nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment